Saturday 22 October 2011

Fibreglassing and Storing Produce

Ib asked what we have been up to on the barge.  Well, Pete has been taking advantage of the sunshine to fibreglass all the wood.  He has been out there day after day, putting on mesh, giving it a coat of resin, grinding it, more resin and more grinding (excuse me if I haven't got that the right way round, any technical questions I will pass on to Pete).



Hopefully he is almost there, so far he has thrown away three pairs of jeans and several tee-shirts that have become rigid with the resin, he is fast running out of old clothes and anymore and he will be going out naked!   But he assures me that we are going to be completely watertight by winter.  I hope so, because look what I am using the wheelhouse for.......
.....storing squashes, garlic, haricot beans and hazelnuts and lots more to come yet.  Have a good weekend everyone x

11 comments:

  1. Sounds like tough work in this cold weather!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Tanya - the weather here is absolutely glorious and really quite warm during the day. Anyway I keep him working hard so he wouldn't feel it even if it were cold ;) !!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Although it's cooler it has been beautiful weather here today and we've been walking along Papermill Lock, Chelmsford today. Been thinking of you and your life on the barge.

    Your Pete is doing a super job and I love your updates.

    Keep them coming! What the next stage for the barge and when might it start?

    Your produce looks great, it's says soup to me! Did you get through your beans, what a kind friend!

    Sft x

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sft - Papermill Lock is so pretty - unfortunately we would not be able to navigate the British Canals due to the size of the barge. Next stage of the barge is down below - cleaning and painting the rest of the inside of the hull, insulation and then cladding. I got through all the beans and they are now hanging in an old pair of tights in the wheelhouse!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is all so exciting, Fran! Not the actual doing of the fibreglassing, cleaning and painting, but the fact that each step gets you closer to being finished, and your dream coming true.

    Kay, Alberta, Canada
    An Unfittie’s Guide to Adventurous Travel

    ReplyDelete
  6. Kay - I think it is exciting, but I am sure there are times when Pete thinks it is just tedious. But he loves getting to the end of one job and moving on to the next, he is very methodical. I wish I was half as patient sometimes x

    ReplyDelete
  7. Tell Pete if he runs out of close to be very careful if he goes out naked. No telling what that resin might make rigid. Is the produce from your allotment? Great squash. I've never had much luck, but then my tries have been in deck pots. - Margy

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Margy - Lol, it could be a new alternative to those 'little blue pills'! The squash is from the allotment. I didn't do too badly this year but next year I am going to forget pumpkins and just go with the smaller squash. You seem to get more for the space. I know that you can train most squashes upwards, would that be better for a large container? x

    ReplyDelete
  9. Aye' working with grp resin is a sticky business and if your in the habit of wiping the gloved hands on the overalls it's hard on clothing alright. You will have to visit the charity shops & ask for their throw aways :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi Fran !
    Looks nice, my self finished 2 boiler-suits making the watertanks. I´s a mucky job....

    ReplyDelete