Saturday 22 January 2011

We are Moving....


Okay, so to let you in on what's happening.  Today Pete and two lovely friends, Chris and Ian, sailed Carpe Diem round from her winter berth and moored her alongside Bonnie.  She is looking a little scruffy and neglected, but nothing that a good wash won't sort out.  In my last post I said that the kids would be moving back into the house, well we decided to move out!  All our 'stuff' will be stored in one of the bedrooms in the house and the kids get the rest of it, whilst we live on Carpe Diem and get on with the barge.  It makes sense.  It gives my son and his girlfriend somewhere a bit more stable to live, especially as it looks very likely that it will be a long, long time before they can buy somewhere of their own.  They just want somewhere that they can stay in longer than six months (Rob wants to keep chickens!).  They will pay the bills etc so it gives us more money to use on the barge and Pete will also be able to spend a lot more time on the barge.  Carpe Diem has heating, shower etc so we will hardly be 'roughing it'!  Also, having the barge next door will give us the illusion of more space and we will be able to use my 'office' on the barge for more storage space.
So it's all change and I am frantically packing everything up before they move in on Tuesday.  We won't actually move on to the yacht for another couple of weeks, as we have to clean it, take of all the boatie stuff and put on what we need to live.  Watch this space!

11 comments:

  1. What a wonderful solution. It will be super for the kids and very interesting for you. (Chickens? Made me laugh.)
    Moving is usually a dreadful drag but this certainly doesn't sound like an everyday kind of move.
    My best friend and her husband are in the process of buying a narrow-boat so they can move from an island on the west coast of Canada to a canal somewhere in England for their retirement. Also not a conventional sort of move!
    -- K

    Kay, Alberta, Canada
    An Unfittie's Guide to Adventurous Travel

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds like a great solution. Will be a busy few weeks for you. Very exciting too. In the peace of mind your house is safe too xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. So, no Aussies I presume...........-:)

    ReplyDelete
  4. How exciting! A great plan -- and believe me, I can relate!

    I have been in Ketchikan, Alaska since Jan 2 for orientation and training in my new job. In the meantime, Don brought the boat up to Craig, Alaska on Prince of Wales Island, where we will be living. (Not a fun trip. He will tell the story on Sailing Sunline once he has internet)

    On Friday, I am finally getting on the ferry to Prince of Wales Island! Yes!

    This has been a very long move. I hope yours is shorter and less complicated. I am looking forward to your future posts as the work gets done.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Kay - how exciting for your friends, let me know if they need any help or anything.
    Changing One... - Not sure if safe it the word! Time will tell...
    Ib - Nothing as exciting as Aussie, but a bit of their sun wouldn't go amiss right now!
    Sue Ellen - glad to hear from you, I hope you settle on to the boat okay, crack open a bottle of champers and have one for me too!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sounds like a lot of work AND a lot of fun! Enjoy the weekend ahead, Kellie xx

    ReplyDelete
  7. How exciting! Good luck Fran and Pete!

    ReplyDelete
  8. What wonderful parents you are. Living aboard will be an adventure for sure. I'll be watching to see how it progresses. - Margy

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thanks Kellie. Good to hear from you Val, I hope you are well. Margy, I am not sure about being good parents, since we couldn't wait to get away! xxx

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi Fran, I was very busy taking care of out grandchildren en working on the electricity in the wheelhouse and in de engineroom, so I didn't notice your moving plans. Very good idea. It's good to be next to the Bonnie so you can work on it on more regular basis and she will be ready soon. And when the Bonnie is ready, you move to the Bonnie than? I will watch your blog more often,
    carlayvonne

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hi Janys, thanks for the link to your website, good luck with that and stay in touch x

    Good to hear from you carlayvonne, I hope you are taking it a bit easier now x

    ReplyDelete