Wednesday 8 September 2010

Income Tax

With all the hooha that's going on in the press at the moment over the total incompetancy of HM Revenue, I decided to take a look at my tax code.  It didn't look right, so I gave the tax man a call and guess what..... I have been paying too much tax for the last five years.  Not huge amounts, but enough, so now I am due a tax rebate, which will probably take forever to arrive.  Do they pay interest if they owe you money, bet they don't.  But take my advice, even if you are on the straight forward PAYE scheme like me,  I suggest you just have a quick check, you never know.

4 comments:

  1. ooooh how fab, i jusy feel sorry for those that are going to owe, i hope I am not one of them

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oooh lucky you, that might be a nice windfall when you really need it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Moving to Canada from the States gave us the "opportunity" to pay income taxes in two countries. US citizens have to pay US taxes even if they live in a different country. Now how is that for a tax code? At least there is a tax treaty between the two so we don't have to pay double. - Margy

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sharon and Val, thanks but it is not enough to retire on unfortunately, but better in my pocket than theirs! Margy - I hope you get the better deal and than US tax is lower than Canadian tax! Does the same apply if you came over here for example?

    ReplyDelete