Tuesday 16 August 2016

Holiday comes to an end with a Bump!

We had a lovely time during the last week of our holiday.  We moved to a camp site near Hereford, which was very central to a lot of wonderful areas.  We actually spent quite a lot of the time in Wales and it is definitely an area that we would like to go back and explore more.  Our site was overlooked by the Black Mountains, which were magnificent.


We also spent a day in the Brecon Beacons, which were stunning.  We got out of the car and walked and walked, the scenery was breathtaking.



I had forgotten to take my walking boots on holiday and walked the mountains in a really cute pair of cerise pink ballet pumps, which were immediately binned when we got back to the tent as they got so wet the sole fell off!


We also tried to get in to Merthyr Tydfil as I wanted to pay homage to Kier Hardy.  However, the place was packed and we couldn't get parked anywhere, so we gave up and went into the Welsh Valleys.  It was only later that we learned that the reason it was so busy was because Jeremy Corbyn was in town.  I really wish we had made more effort to find a place to park as I would love to hear him speak.  We really did have a lovely relaxing time on holiday and came back completely chilled, until......

.....my daft husband fell from the top of his ladder to the stony ground, hitting his side and back as he went down.  Having spent his entire life running up and down ladders, Pete is well aware of ladder safety rules, he always ties his ladder off.  Anyway, he had untied the ladder that was against the yacht when we went on holiday to prevent any theft, and was putting it back and was going to tie it off again.  The ladder slipped on the stones and down Pete went, about 12ft.  He has broken several ribs and punctured his lung and had to spend several days in hospital.  He is in considerable pain and will be for sometime yet, but he is also aware that it could have been a lot worse.  Pete is not one for sitting around doing nothing and I see problems ahead in keeping him down.  Please send all jokes that I shall save for when he is being particularly difficult!

I have had enough of Broomfield Hospital this year, what with mum being in for several weeks and now Pete (funnily enough they were both in the same bed, not together obviously!).  But once again, the staff did an amazing job especially considering the pressure they are under.  I am always in awe about how cheerful and caring they are.  So thanks again to the staff there.  Oh, and to finish, I bought the girls little Welsh National costumes and Bobby a flat cap and waistcoat, so here is Jessica modelling her outfit.  


Back soon ......hugs and kisses all.


18 comments:

  1. So sorry to hear about Pete - hope he is recovering & the pain is easing. Kier Hardie is a name a haven't heard for a long time, a good man, as Corbin also seems to be from what I read. I do love the image of you scaling mountains in a pair of cerise ballet pumps! x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Like you said, could have been a lot worse. Hope he recovers soon, about 6 weeks is it for ribs? Glad you had a good time tough, weren't your feet killing you in those shoes?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hope your hubby is feeling better soon.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh, I feel so bad for Pete, how terrible. As for jokes, I'm sure that laughing brings on horrible pain when your ribs and lungs are involved. Here's wishing him a speedy recover. It's hard to keep a good man down :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. So sorry to hear about Pete, that wasn't a good ending to your lovely holiday. I hope he makes a speedy recovery and doesn't get too frustrated in the meantime. Sarah x

    ReplyDelete
  6. So sorry to hear about your husband. Hope he heals quickly!

    ReplyDelete
  7. So cute. Hope Pete feels better soon. I always worry about Wayne when he is up the ladder at the cabin. We are a long ways from town and medical help. - Margy

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh no, hope he's on the mend.

    The little one looks adorable in her Welsh attire.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I can sympathise with Pete, for in the past have suffered with broken ribs on two occasions (not the same ones). Best advice is to breathe slowly avoid coughing or sneezing and laughing too as it is very painful!
    So don't tell him any jokes Fran because you will not be thanked!
    I could send you several jokes but I shall refrain from doing so.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Poor Pete! Hope he mends more quickly than expected.

    ReplyDelete
  11. My Sis hubby also fell down a ladder 2,5m up.
    Hi`s nerly ivalid now and lot´s of pain. He fell on the back.
    Your Pete is very Lucky, hopfully he lerned something now
    and that He get´s well soon.
    //ib

    ReplyDelete
  12. I have passed all your good wishes on to Pete and he was very touched and said thank you very much. He is definitely improving and is moving around a bit better. He knows it is going to be a long slog, but as he says 'it could have been life changing, not just a few weeks of discomfort' xxx

    ReplyDelete
  13. So sorry to hear about Petes accident, I am useless at remembering jokes I'm afraid. I hope his recovery is quick. You did make me chuckles at your footwear, I bet you got some odd looks from other mountain walkers :) Jessica looks so cute in her little costume.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Aw, Fran, I am so glad you had a lovely holiday before Pete fell off the ladder and that he didn't do it first! What a great time you had. It's been lovely to follow your travels. As for your poor man, tell him (and this is no joke), I fell down three flights of Dutch stairs some years ago. Not content with stopping at the landing of the first flight, I got up, slipped and carried on falling down and second and then third flight. Can you believe it? I broke several ribs then too, but to make matters even worse, a few months later, I did it all over again...now tell him not to laugh :)))

    ReplyDelete
  15. Sending get well wishes to hubby, hope he gets better soon. I've enjoyed reading your holiday adventures, lots of lovely places visited. For a small country Wales is so diverse and beautiful and it has steam engines :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. so sorry to read that Pete fell, but good to get an update from you that he is recovering. I had a read up of your Welsh adventures, you passed not far from where I live near Blackwood - I do hope the weather was kind, you have seen so much and nice to visit family too. I adore the little one in the Welsh costume, don't see it much in Wales these days. And yes, I remember hearing that Jeremy was in Merthyr a while back, as some colleagues who are Labour members went and had a picture taken with him, now being used on their FB page, made me chuckle. Hope your well too, Take care

    ReplyDelete
  17. Hello Sweet Fran, Just a note to say, "I miss you", Do hope that everything is going well with you and Pete and that your health is in the category of, Fit As A Fiddle :)
    Your blogging sister,
    Connie :)

    ReplyDelete
  18. Fran when will you return to blogging because you are very much missed xx

    ReplyDelete